Certainty is the cage that keeps us safe from curiosity. I've been released from the cage. I am the songbird and I am flying for the window. I know it's closed but I plan on breaking through. – Charlie Coté, Jr. (1987-2005)

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Come Out Of That Hole This Winter And See Your Shadow



Therese J. Borchard, author of Beyond Blue: Surviving Depression & Anxiety and Making the Most of Bad Genes and a blog with the same name, gives 10 depression busting tips in an article at PsychCentral

Here's her list:

1.   Watch the sugar
2.   Stock up on Omega-3s
3.   Give back
4.   Join the gym
5.   Use a light lamp
6.   Wear bright colors
7.   Force yourself outside
8.   Hang out with friends
9.   Head south.
10. Take up a project and challenge yourself.  

I'm happy to report I've done 8 of the 10, my favorite being #9, an annual trek to South Florida for the Palm Beach Poetry Festival. Upon my return to much snow, little light and frigid temperatures, I found a pair of brand new cross country skis leaning against the wall. So now I have a good way to accomplish #7 and #8.

What works for you? Please comment. 
   

1 comment:

Asea said...

Playing in the snow with kids usually gets rid of the winter blahs pretty fast. It's hard to resent snow when it's in the form of a snow dinosaur!